Best Homemade Bagels. Bagels are everywhere, but good bagels are hard to come by—here's how to make a classic New Looking for a weekend project? Bagels are just the thing to master. I dedicated the past month to homemade bagels.
Homemade bagels are a bajillion times better than the store bought kind, are WAY healthier for you (no dough conditioners, preservatives, etc.), and even cost less. Making homemade bagels is a work of love, specially sourdough bagels. Shape the dough into And these bagels kept really well for a couple of days, actually. You can have Best Homemade Bagels using 6 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Best Homemade Bagels
- You need 1 C of + 3 tblsp warm water.
- Prepare 1 1/2 C of + 2 tblsp flour.
- It’s 3/4 tsp of salt.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of sugar.
- You need 2 tsp of yeast.
- It’s of For egg wash, 1 egg and a dash of water whisked together.
Bagels tend to get hard and tough after a. How to Make Bagels In Your Bread Machine. So when I saw a photo of homemade bagels on my Make a well in the center and pour the yeast mixture into the center. Mix by hand and keep adding.
Best Homemade Bagels instructions
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt, sugar and yeast.
- Stir in the warm water (you may need to add a tblsp or two more water, you want a dense sticky dough.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough until smooth (3-4 minutes).
- Put the dough in an oiled bowl, flip to coat..let rise for 1 hour.
- Deflate dough and divide into 4 portions, let rest for 5 minutes.
- While the dough is resting, bring a large pot of water to a hard simmer…add 3 tblsp of baking soda to the water..also at this time preheat your oven to 400*.
- With wet hands, form each portion into a ball and make a large hole in the center.
- Using a utensil as shown, lower 2 dough balls at a time into the simmering water.
- Simmer for 3 minutes, flip, and simmer 3 more minutes…carefully remove to a parchment lined baking sheet.
- When all 4 bagels have been boiled, add the egg wash (light covering).
- Bake for 20 minutes.
Homemade bagels are easier than you think! With a little bit of kneading, and some basic bread ingredients, you'll have Homemade Bagels Recipe. Author: The Prairie Homestead/Maria Alison. ; Real Homemade Bagels. Toasted or plain, with cream cheese and lox Top the bagels with poppy seeds, sesame seeds, or make one of each, including an everything bagel. Learn how to make homemade bagels!