Broccoli Cheddar Soup.
You can cook Broccoli Cheddar Soup using 13 ingredients and 17 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Prepare 1 of large onion, roughly chopped.
- You need 3 cloves of garlic,minced.
- You need 2 of carrots, diced to the size of your liking.
- It’s 4 tbsp of butter.
- You need 1/4 cup of flour.
- It’s 1 of bay leaf.
- It’s 2 cups of half and half.
- You need 3-4 cups of chicken stock*.
- You need 6-7 heads of broccoli crowns.
- Prepare 3-4 cups of sharp cheddar cheese.
- Prepare of salt.
- You need of pepper.
- It’s 4 oz of cream cheese.
Broccoli Cheddar Soup instructions
- Melt butter in a large, heavy duty saucepan..
- Sauté onion and carrot on medium heat for 5-8 minutes. Sweating them down. Add minced garlic..
- Add flour. Stir flour into veggies. Turn heat down if browning too fast. You want to be able to cook the flour for about 5minutes..
- Add half and half..
- Add chicken stock. *If you like your soup thin, add all 4 cups. If you like a thicker soup,just add 3 cups..
- Add bay leaf..
- This is where I add my salt and pepper. I start out with 1tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. You can adjust to your preference..
- Bring soup up to a gentle boil, medium-high heat..let simmer for 10 minutes..
- At this point, I use my immersion blender. I've got kids that would die if they knew onions were in this. This way, you dont sacrifice flavor over the tastes of picky eaters..
- I threw about 1/2 tsp salt in and dumped my broccoli in. My broccoli was mostly florets,but I also left a head, with more stalks…for texture. Completely up to you…
- I lightly simmered, for 20 minutes. Or until your broccoli is tender..
- Remove bay leaf..
- Once you have tender broccoli, remove a couple cups of broccoli to a bowl. I used the immersion blender again, in the soup..
- Return the chunks of broccoli to the soup..
- Add cream cheese and cheddar cheese..
- Stir all that yummy cheese until it melts into the soup. 😆.
- Ladle up and enjoy!! I served this in bread bowls. Delicious!.