For the Tanabata Star Festival Jellied Imitation Crab and Okra.
You can have For the Tanabata Star Festival Jellied Imitation Crab and Okra using 8 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of For the Tanabata Star Festival Jellied Imitation Crab and Okra
- It’s 8 stick of Imitation crab (kaori no hako).
- It’s 3 of Okra.
- You need 1 of Egg.
- It’s 1 piece of measuring about 1/2 the size of your thumbtip ginger.
- You need 550 ml of Japanese dashi stock.
- You need 1 tbsp of Usukuchi soy sauce.
- You need 1/2 tsp of Salt.
- It’s 1 bag of Kanten powder.
For the Tanabata Star Festival Jellied Imitation Crab and Okra step by step
- Remove the bristles from the okra by rubbing it with salt, and blanch in boiling water. When they have cooled, cut them into 5~6mm rounds. Finely julienne the ginger..
- Take 6 of the imitation crab sticks and cut in half. Finely shred the remaining 2 sticks. Beat the egg well..
- Put the dashi stock into a saucepan and add the powdered kanten. While stirring, bring this to a simmer for about 2 minutes. When the kanten has fully dissolved, add the soy sauce and salt..
- Wet the bottom of a 18cm square mold. Pour enough stock mixture from step 3 to fill the mold to 3-5mm. Arrange the crab stick halves and the okra and evenly sprinkle the grated ginger..
- Heat the remaining broth from step 3, while stirring, add shredded crab sticks..
- Bring the mixture to a simmer, and using a perforated ladle, pour in the beaten egg in thin streams. Turn off the heat when cooked..
- Pour the mixture from step 6 over the arranged crab and okra in the mold. Set the mold in a shallow pan filled with ice water, and put into the refrigerator to cool for about 2 hours or until well set..
- When the jelly has set, run a toothpick around the perimeter to release, and invert the mold to remove the jelly. You may need to shake it hard to get it to release..
- Cut into bars of your desired size with a knife. (Here i cut 12 bars into 3x4cm) Serve on a plate and you are done..