Dutch Oven Elk Stew.
You can cook Dutch Oven Elk Stew using 15 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Dutch Oven Elk Stew
- You need 2 lb of elk stew meat ( can use deer or even beef).
- You need 2 tbsp of oil.
- You need 1 large of onion, diced.
- You need 1 large of carrot, sliced or diced.
- Prepare 1 stalk of of celery, diced.
- Prepare 8 oz of white mushrooms, quartered.
- Prepare 8 oz of shitaki mushrooms, cut up.
- Prepare 28 oz of can of whole peeled tomatoes.
- It’s 1 lb of red potatoes, quartered.
- It’s 1 of 28 oz.( from tomatoes) can filled w/ beef broth.
- It’s 1 tsp of garlic salt.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of fresh cracked black pepper.
- It’s 2 of bay leaves.
- It’s 1 tsp of whole thyme leaves.
- You need 1 of biscuit mix.
Dutch Oven Elk Stew step by step
- heat dutch oven, add oil..
- add meat and brown well.
- add remaining ingredients except biscuit mix.
- place oven in coals.
- let cook on low simmer for 2 or 3 hours.
- check and stir every 30 min..
- once the meat is tender, top with biscuit dumplings ( this is optional) cover and let bake another 20 min..
- I like to let it stand in refrigerator over night and reheat next day. this let's all the flavors mingle well. ENJOY!.