Slow Cooker Caldo Verde Soup. Great recipe for Slow Cooker Caldo Verde Soup. On Cape Cod, I always have a bowl or two or three of Portuguese Soup. Try using a Reynolds® slow cooker liner in your slow cooker for easier cleanup.
It can be found in the Mexican section of supermarkets. The tortilla pieces will dissolve during cooking, adding flavor and some thickening to the soup. Bold and zesty Portuguese Caldo Verde Soup, a peasant dish with tons of wow-factor! You can have Slow Cooker Caldo Verde Soup using 14 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Slow Cooker Caldo Verde Soup
- You need 2-3 of garlic cloves.
- It’s 1-2 of yellow onion.
- You need 1 lb of linguica or chourico.
- Prepare 1 lb. of Yukon gold potatoes.
- You need 1-2 cups of chopped carrots.
- You need 1-2 tbsp of olive oil.
- It’s 2-3 of bay leaves.
- You need 1 tsp of sweet Spanish paprika.
- It’s 1 tsp of dried oregano.
- You need 1-2 pinches of ground cinnamon.
- You need 4 cups of low sodium chicken broth.
- Prepare 4 cups of cold water.
- It’s 2-4 cups of chopped kale.
- You need of Ground black pepper for taste.
Transfer the blanched beef into the slow cooker together with the rest of the aromatics. Notice how rough I chopped mine? Caldo de Res is traditionally served with chopped fresh cilantro and sometimes a squeeze of fresh lime juice. I prefer to have mine without those, as they tend to cut too.
Slow Cooker Caldo Verde Soup step by step
- Dice the garlic and onions, separate into two piles..
- Lengthwise, slice the linguica/chourico in half, then cut into quarter inch slices.
- In a hot pot over medium heat, coat the pot with olive oil. Add the garlic. Saute the garlic for a minute or two..
- Next add the onions and carrots into the pot. Cook together with the garlic for about 5 minutes..
- Once the onions are translucent, the linguica goes into the pot. Cook the linguica until it is slightly browned. Add all of it into the slow cooker..
- Cut the potatoes into one inch pieces. Place the potatoes into the slow cooker..
- Stir everything into the slow cooker, except for the kale. Place the bay leaves on top. Close the slow cooker, set the temperature to low, and cook for about 8 hours..
- After 8 hours, discard the bay leaves and remove the linguica with a slotted spoon. Put to the side. Mix in the kale and cook for another 30 minutes with the temperature on high..
- When 30 minutes is over, use a hand blender to blend to almost smooth. It is okay to have some chunks. Stir back in the linguica. ***You do not need to blend. That is totally optional.***.
Home » Slow Cooker Recipes » Slow Cooker Caldo de Pollo. One of my favorite Mexican dishes of all time is Caldo de Pollo which literally translates to "chicken broth." Filled with hearty vegetables, cubes of chicken and a light lime-scented chicken broth, it's the ideal soup to warm up on a cold. Inspired by Portuguese caldo verde, this hearty, richly flavoured soup is a yummy way to use up an entire bunch of kale in one go. Using immersion blender, purée soup until almost smooth with a few chunks. Caldo verde is the official unofficial soup of Portugal.